Plant Materials Manager
New Haven, MI United States
Manages, directs and coordinates material operations. Through subordinate planner/ schedulers assures production objectives are met within cost and quality standards.
Duties and Requirements of the Job:
- Ensures a safe working environment and that everyone goes home safe every day
- Sets goals, supervises and motivates planner/schedulers, customer contact representative and warehouse personnel ensure adequate and continuous control is exercised over the activities affecting quality.
- Interacts with team and other department managers to resolve issues and problems concerning customers and plant operation.
- Develops facility production plan and master scheduling of production through manufacturing.
- Manages inventory goals and purchasing budgets.
- Minimizes material handling by ensuring a ‘plan for every part.’
- Develops and implements procedures and policies.
- Develops and implements continuous process improvement plans.
- Manages all warehouse systems to ensure the accuracy and integrity of all inventories, receipts and shipments.
- Reviews debits, claims and concerns involving the OEM’s, serve as a customer contact.
- Ensures TS16949 compliance for Materials area(s) of responsibility.
- Fully participates in the QOS/KPI continuous improvement process.
- Initiates action to prevent the occurrence of any nonconformities relating to product, process and quality system and identifies and records any problems relating to the product, process and quality system.
- Performs such individual assignments as the supervisor may direct; establishes and maintains effective work relationships within the department, the Corporation and the community; and maintains the professional competence, knowledge and skill necessary for the satisfactory performance of all assigned responsibilities.
- Performs those administrative activities necessary for the effective management of the department, including provision for the selection and development of employees, pay administration, budget administration, setting organization goals / objectives, planning, organizing, integrating & other duties as assigned by the Plant Manager.
Required Training, Knowledge, Skills and Experience for this Job:
- Minimum of three (3) years experience as a Materials Manager/Supervisor, preferably in the automotive industry.
- Broad background in manufacturing technology and line operating experience.
- Practical, hands on experience with warehousing and logistics.
- Working knowledge of the AQP process.
- Training in problem solving techniques.
- Knowledge and understanding of inventory control, master scheduling, MRP and capacity planning systems.
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Knowledge of AS/400 basic operations, BPCS software and MRP Pull Systems, with willingness to obtain additional training in these computer applications if needed.
Physical Requirements to Perform the Duties of the Job:
- Regular and predictable attendance.
- Nothing that would prohibit overnight or extended travel.
- Ability to travel (including air travel and long automobile trips).
- Occasionally lifts up to 50 pounds and frequently carries up to 30 pounds.
- Maneuvers in, around, under and about factory and / or laboratory equipment on a regular and continuous basis.
- Some of work time is spent standing, walking, lifting and bending.
- Works at telephone answering equipment, and at a computer.
- Works within an automotive components manufacturing office and laboratory setting and may be exposed to heat, cold and fumes/chemicals.
- May be required to travel to plant and/or customer sites worldwide.
Bachelors Degree in Management, Business Administration or related field or an equivalent combination of education and work experience.