Manufacturing Process Engineer
Marysville, MI United States
Provides support to the daily operations of the plant, with a strong focus on automotive steel tube roll form and braze operations. Support will involve the interaction with the Engineering, Production and Maintenance personnel to assure that optimum performance levels are achieved throughout the plant. While maintaining production, this individual will also be responsible for enhancing equipment operation through tooling, process control and capital project management resulting in improved product quality and reduced cost.
Responsibilities of Position:
- Support and maintain highly integrated machine control systems including and distributed IO PLC architectures.
- Integral member of the production support team, responsible for training maintenance and production personnel on various machine functions including production, maintenance, diagnostics and calibration.
- Work closely with machine and tooling vendors to improve tool design, tool life and optimize cost.
- Integral member of PFMEA and Process Control Plan team.
- Responsible for implementation of new process improvements and corrective actions as required based on 8-D, PFMEA or similar analysis.
- Performs work with adherence to safety procedures and best practice standards.
- Involved in the commissioning of new manufacturing processes.
- Other duties and activities as assigned by the Engineering Manager.
- Ability to use CAD software for the design of tooling and production/test equipment. Solid modeling experience with Autodesk Inventor is preferred.
- Minimum of 5 years experience working with automated equipment using networked PLC and HMI control systems, programming experience preferred.
- Strong understanding of mechanical property testing of steel products and basic metallurgy.
- Experience with the roll forming of steel strip to produce round tubing or other shapes/forms.
- Ability to maintain and troubleshoot automated control systems and components; PLC’s, variable speed drives, hydraulics/pneumatics, temperature, vision, eddy current inspection, etc.
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret technical procedures, specifications and controls schematics.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, with the ability to train plant production and maintenance personnel in the proper operation and troubleshooting of production equipment.
- Ability to common industry tools such as 8D, 5 Why, Is/Is-Not or similar approach to reach root cause.
- Working familiarity with statistical problem solving and statistical process control techniques to drive continuous improvement and corrective action.
Licensing or Special Certification Requirements:
- Valid drivers’ license.
- Ability to travel (including air travel and long automobile trips), including some overnight domestic and international trips.
- Must work near moving equipment occasionally.
- Some of work time is spent standing, walking, lifting and bending.
- May be required to travel to plant and/or training sites.
- Some of work time is spent working at a computer.
Bachelor’s degree in Electrical or Mechanical Engineering or related field.