Manufacturing Engineer II
FCS San Luis Potosi Mexico
Be an integral member of the business unit?s platform launch teams,while reporting to a central manufacturing engineering function. The manufacturing engineer primarily functions in the planning and pre-launch stages of product development.
Responsibilities of Position:
1. Key tasks are to develop, in conjunction with the target plant(manufacturing, quality, engineering, AQP manager), prototype, purchasing,applications engineering, estimating, process design and tooling groups, the optimum design of a manufacturing process based on best current manufacturing practice and planned process/equipment improvements. It would be characteristic to this type of work to design a work-cell process plan which is associated with a platform launch.
2. Typically the majority of the manufacturing engineer’s responsibilities on a specific platform begins with the early design development (assisting applications/product engineering with manufacturing feasibility assessment) and ceases with the start of successful run-at-rate production quantities.
3. Teamwork is critical to the team’s success. As such the manufacturing engineer will be an active participant in development of a specific platform’s preliminary process flow diagram, and cost estimate.Following, assisting in the development of preliminary process failure mode effects analysis (PFMEA), and pre-production control plan. The initial work should be completed at the "start tool" phase with finalization prior to the start of regular production. Timing of all activities is coordinated by the platform manager.
4. An accurate assessment of process cost is the logical output of the planning activities noted above. Oftentimes process improvements are the result of an ability to automate or reduce waste and therefore reduce variable and/or fixed costs. The cost of this automation or waste reduction must be captured in the manufacturing engineer’s estimate of the capital cost associated with the project. Thus the final estimate of the company’s cost is a product of the current best practices and capital investment in labor or material savings innovation.
5. Cost reduction while simultaneously improving quality prior to and after launch is an important factor in any company’s ability to remain competitive. As such, the manufacturing engineer will be an active part of the company’s on-going cost reduction/quality improvement efforts. These efforts may take the form of formalized, structured efforts such as value analysis/value engineering (VA/VE) studies or special efforts on specific platform or plant initiatives.
6. Other duties as assigned.
1. Ability to analyze and solve problems using the 8D or similar approach.
2. Working familiarity with statistical problem solving and statistical process control techniques
3. Excellent organizational and communication skills.
1. Minimum 5 years manufacturing plant experience
2. Minimum 3 years automotive industry experience.
Licensing or Special Certification Requirements:
1. Valid driver’s license.
1. Ability to work at a personal computer for extended periods of time.
1. Occasionally lifts and carries up to 15 pounds.
Four year technical degree or equivalent training/experience.