Designs complex engineering products, processes, or equipment, including specifications and assembly and manufacturing methods/sequence, for company products and/or manufacturing and assembly equipment. Utilizes CAD systems extensively. Carries out finite element analysis as a regular part of design assignments. May advise lower level non-exempt clerical and technical staff.
Responsibilities of Position:
1. Works independently to gather data and input on the development of original designs or adaptations of existing designs after having been given general instructions regarding purpose and parameters.
2. Prepares and presents preliminary drawings, sketches or diagrams reflecting basic concept in order to obtain confirmation of approach, concept, and/or technique.
3. Conducts presentations with suppliers, customers and various internal departments to obtain input on, agreement with, and understanding of project objectives and schedules.
4. May supervise design drafters in the accomplishment of projects or assignments.
5. Participates in the initial studies and cost estimates for proposed projects and suggests changes to facilitate manufacture and assembly.
6. Prepares bill of materials and standards or specifications and participates in the development of project budgets, schedules, and release dates.
7. Performs such individual assignments as supervisors and superiors may direct; ensures adequate and continuous controls are exercised over all assigned activities affecting quality; establishes and maintains effective work relationships within the department, the Corporation and the community; and maintains the professional competence, knowledge and skill necessary for the satisfactory performance of all assigned responsibilities.
8. May lead and direct the work of others.
9. Relies on experience and judgment to plan and accomplish goals.
10. Performs related duties and special projects as assigned.
1. Regular and predictable attendance.
2. Ability to manage program events such that engineering objectives are met.
3. Ability to formulate and implement solutions to design problems.
4. Ability to communicate effectively.
5. Self-directed with a high degree of self- motivation.
6. Proficient computer skills and abilities with Microsoft Office products (Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint, etc).
7. Excellent written and verbal communications skills.
8. Possesses proven written and oral communications, technical presentation and Finite Element Analysis (FEA) skills.
Licensing or Special Certification Requirements:
1. Valid driver’s license.
1. Ability to work at a personal computer for extended periods of time.
2. Travels to plant, supplier, and customer sites.
1. Occasionally lifts up to 30 pounds and frequently carries up to 15 pounds.
2. Maneuvers in, around, and about factory and/or laboratory equipment on a regular and continuous basis.
3. Some of work time is spent standing, walking, lifting, and bending.
4. Works within an engine components manufacturing, office, and laboratory setting and is exposed to heat, cold, wet, and fumes/chemicals.
Minimum of BSME or related engineering degree.